Risk management allows organizations to identify and assess possible sources of harm, and take steps to decrease or prevent it from occurring. It must include evidence of procedures, processes and documents which show an organization’s commitment to maintaining the safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
While it is not possible to eliminate all the risks involved in playing, coaching, or administering sport, BC Soccer is committed to reducing the risks associated with soccer in the province.
Below is a portion of the Risk Management as it relates to working with youth.
Elements of the BC Soccer Risk Management Program include:
- The YOUTHSAFE Program (Employee/Volunteer Screening Procedures)
- myBackCheck.com (online criminal record checks) SEE BELOW
- BC Handbook for Action on Child Abuse and Neglect
- Respect in Sport, online Parent Education Course
- Respect in Sport, online Coach/Leader Education Course
- Harassment Policy - In the Fall of 2015, the BC Soccer Board of Directors approved amendments to the Conduct, Ethics and Discipline Standards and Policy document, which included updates and directives from Canada Soccer. A portion of these amendments included adding section 1.7 “Free of Harassment” which resulted in a redundancy with the BC Soccer Harassment Policy. As a result, in January 2016, the BC Soccer Board of Directors dissolved the BC Soccer Harassment Policy as the handling of harassment is captured in the undated Conduct, Ethics and Discipline Standards and Policy document.
- All Sport Insurance
- Participant Waiver, Youth
- Participant Waiver, Adult
- Goal Post Safety
BC Soccer Rule 21 – Risk Management
ii) be entrusted with performing financial duties;
iii) be responsible for book keeping or bank account(s) or any other monetary duties;
must have on file the results of a Criminal Record Check.
must have on file the results of a Vulnerable Sector Check.
The approved agencies for Criminal Record Checks are:
• Municipal Police Departments
• Criminal Record Review Program (CRRP)
CLICK HERE to view BC Soccer's Criminal Record Check "Best Practices / Recommendations" document (updated June 2014) for member clubs, district and leagues.
The practice that BC Soccer has in place is that if an individual has done everything that they can to complete their criminal record check and is ‘caught’ in the administrative process, whether it be the fingerprint or other, BC Soccer allows the individual to continue on in that role. BC Soccer recommends that this is the process adopted by BC Soccer members and their affiliated soccer clubs.
This online system provides an alternative to making a trip to the police station. All members of BC Soccer can now complete a Criminal Record Check from the comfort of home. myBackCheck.com allows you to recieve results within one business day. Because of the agreement we have reached with myBackCheck.com, they will provide this option at a discounted price of $25 plus HST for all BC Soccer member coaches, officials, volunteers and staff. Additionally, myBackCheck.com allows you to share the results of their criminal record check with any other organization at no further cost.
We strongly encourage you to register your own association / organization with myBackCheck.com.
Member Organization - Account Setup Process
I’m a Risk Management Officer (or President) of a BC Soccer Member Association / Organization. How do I register my organization?
Register your member soccer organization
Once myBackCheck.com receives the account setup forms, myBackCheck.com will contact you to provide you with usernames and passwords to access your account. It’s that easy!
Please note that the myBackCheck account has to be set-up by the Risk Management Officer (or President) of your organization, and access to Criminal Record Check results will be provided only to each club Risk Management Officer.
User completing a Criminal Record Check
My organization is signed up with a myBackCheck account. How do I, as the Risk Management Officer, invite a candidate to complete a check from my account?
There are two options.
1. If the member organization is covering the cost of the checks, please review this instructional video.
2. If the individual is paying for their check, please refer them to this link: www.backcheck.net/bcsoccer
For more detailed information on creating and utilizing an account with MyBackCheck, please review / download the below documents: